Go Back   Eclectic Horseman Magazine: Just What Works! - Horsemanship in Action > Eclectic Horseman Discussions > General Horse Training
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Horse Training General discussions, advice, comments and observations.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Eclectic Rider

Default Where do you find a good horse?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for a good all-around ranch horse to pony my colt from. I was hoping to either borrow/lease one this summer, but have also been looking for one to buy. I've been looking on Dreamhorse.com, RanchWorldAds.com and Craigslist. My success with all three has been ...not very good. It seems as if RanchWorldAds has more of the kind of horse I'm looking for, but most people run their horses through auctions on that site. I'd prefer to buy private party since I'm not as comfortable with auctions. Dreamhorse has a lot of horses, but few are the type of horse I'm looking for. Most are either Western Pleasure horses or HUS horses. And quite a few are priced extremely high. There was one nice horse I found on Dreamhorse that could have worked, but the woman was so erratic about what she wanted that I decided to opt out of going to see him. And Craigslist is - quite frankly - very scary to me. Some of the horses on that site are heartbreaking.

So, if anyone can help me with my quest for a new horse, I'd appreciate the help.

To give you an idea of what I'm looking for; I'd like to find a good all-around ranch gelding, age somewhere between 5 years and 12 years, at least 15.2H, has ponied horses before, sound and healthy, no spook/rear/buck/bolt, nice in pasture with other horses. This would be a riding horse for me and possibly friends who come to visit on occasion, a pony horse for my colt, pasture friend for both the colt and my retired gelding, and a family pet. If he's big AND pretty that would be icing on the cake, but he doesn't have to be. I'd like to find a horse close to home, so Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Utah would be great. But I'll travel for the right horse at the right price. As for price, I'd like not to spend too much money on this horse but again, if its the right fit I'm flexible.

Thanks so much!
Teddy